Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends

Fork: iPhone app for food, photos and friendsAs you know, I love a good side project. I started writing my first book, Journalism 2.0, while I was running the website of the The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash. and, somewhere in the process of setting the alarm for 5 a.m., I formed a habit. Ever since, I’ve had a side project of one kind or another (a startup company, two more books, a fellowship at Poynter) and I’m happy to announce my latest: Fork, an iPhone app for sharing food photos with friends. (Here’s a demo video one of our beta users made.)

Fork inspirationThe original inspiration, as I told Jenni Hogan yesterday, came from my daughter, Ellie, who was 9 at the time. I’m a single dad and she and my son, Sam, call my house “Dad’s Steakhouse” because, well, I apparently make a lot of steak.  One night she created a restaurant “sign” out of a Post-It Note and put it on the wall behind where we eat dinner. Then she added a new note for every dinner I served that week and a column for her and her brother, where they added their comments about what I’d made each night. (The original name of the project in my computer is “KidYelp.”) So after a few days I had a wall full of Post-It Notes with information and ideas about what to make for dinner – and what my kids liked. I thought, “I wish I had that on my iPhone.”

And, of course, food is done best with photos. So I approached a couple friends who I’d worked with before who are amazing at development (Scott Falconer) and design (Lauren Rabaino). And since they both love food and sharing food photos, we started working on it.

Fork team photo

Turns out, making an app is hard work (and I didn’t even do any of the coding). Keeping it simple, clearly focused and easy to use means making a lot of tough decisions before doing any programming or design. And then making more tough choices as you go. Since I occasionally teach entrepreneurial journalism workshops focused on turning an idea into a product, this has been a great learning experience and given me a real-world test on those lessons I teach.

As I’ve said since writing it in my first book, ideas are cheap and execution is everything. I first had the idea for this app about 18 months ago, but only through the contributions of Scott, Lauren and a bunch of other people smarter than me did the idea finally come to life this week.

If you have an iPhone and you like food (and have friends), I invite you to download Fork and check it out. Please let me know what you think and how it could be better. We have already benefited from the feedback of dozens of friends who helped us work out some bugs on earlier versions, but as with any entrepreneurial endeavor, you have to continue to adapt to the needs of your users.

Some of those early test users have told me that they actually cook more interesting meals and eat better because of Fork. We have discovered that it’s gratifying to share food stories with friends and it turns out that it’s also motivating. If people who use the app find more happiness through food, that would be awesome.

And make all the 5 a.m. mornings and late nights even more worthwhile.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

29 Responses to “Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends”

1. celulitis says:

I just like the helpful info you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more right here frequently. I’m quite sure I will learn many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the next!

2. I usually do not leave a great deal of remarks,
    however after looking at through a few of the remarks here Announcing
    Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0.
    I actually do have a few questions for you if you do not mind.
    Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like a few of
    the comments come across as if they are written by brain dead folks?
    😛 And, if you are writing on additional social sites, I’d like to keep up with you.

Would you list of the complete urls of all your social community
    sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

3. Yung Heger says:

Fantastic things of your things, guy. Before so you are far too wonderful, we have study your things. I like what you have right here, appreciate just what you are expressing and precisely the way you convey it.

4. Click Forum says:

Fantastic beat! I wish to beginner even though you modify your blog, how could possibly i join for any web site? This account served us a useful offer. My partner and i ended up being a bit common of this your send out presented sparkly apparent plan

5. This causes swelling, stiffness and pain as inflammation grows more intense.
    If you have a bad back, sit-ups and crunches are likely to worsen it.

Objects are lifted improperly, or lifting items that are far too heavy.

Feel free to surf to my site … กระดูกทับเส้น

6. domain says:

If you wish for to obtain a good deal from this paragraph then you have to apply these methods
    to your won web site.

7. Caren says:

Hello folks, if you wanna lose weight you should
    type in google – Oldbanough’s weightloss
    it’s good point to start your fight with fat

8. vpn iphone says:

It’s in fact very complex in this busy life to listen news on Television, so
    I just use the web for that purpose, and obtain the most recent information.

9. coking says:

If you wish for to take much from this piece of writing then you have to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

10. Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our website. Keep up the great writing.

11. Brittney says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on website. Regards

12. It is perfeft time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy.
    I have rea this polst and if I may just I desire to recommend you some fascinating things or tips.
    Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.

I want to read even more issues about it!

13. voucherslug.Co.uk

Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0

14. Thanks for finally talking about > Announcing Fork: An iPhone app
    for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0 < Liked it!

15. qnexa benefits For weight loss

Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0

16. I ɦave been suгfing online greater than 3 hours lately, but I never discovered any inteгesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth sufficient for me. In my
    opinion, if all site owners and blⲟggers
    made good content material as you probabⅼy dіd, the internet can be much more
    useful than ever before.

17. SEO Services in Tempe

Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0

18. Rickie Slark says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.|

19. national Roofing contractors

Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0

20. Looking for whatsapp status english which you can send to your friends on social networking sites like Facebook, Whatsapp? We provide all our friends a wide collection of hindi status, love status, Funny status in English, Family whatsapp status , cute love status, High attitude status in English and many more. So check out all statuses we have, and update your WhatsApp Status everyday.

21. water and weight

Announcing Fork: An iPhone app for food, photos and friends | Journalism 2.0

22. I think your dorm room looks great in photos, but (to me) everything looks too cluttered and dirty. There’s just too much STUFF everywhere.

23. Wonderful! Thank you so much!

24. Flossie says:

They will be as bewildered as to whether you have a colossal hand or are bluffing.

25. This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have
    found something which helped me. Cheers!

26. male fleshlight
    On the 4th if will start to rumble. My guess is that the 2nd motor has now kicked
    in. The 5th, 6th, and 7th it gets turbo strong.
    I not religious, so I understand I am a bit
    biased. In my personal opinion, I do believe it should be offered regardless of the business type,
    religious or otherwise. It should be the individual right to choose if they
    want to take advantage of contraception.

sex toys When she awoke on the third day, her temperature
    had come down and she was sufficiently alert for Roald to teach
    her how to play chess. She beat him immediately.
    After eating a good lunch, she went to sleep again at 5pm and
    did not wake until late the following morning.. sex toys

butt plugs We don have dvr, rvd, abc,etc or any fancy stuff like that.
    Heck, we don even have cable or satellite. I like doing things.
    Yikes. Another big disappointment was the suction cup.
    The one I received was flimsy, black plastic, but
    the box pictured a much nicer one in white plastic. butt plugs

cheap vibrators The circular base is rounded off so that the plug doesn’t become lost, and it
    has a suction cup if the user requires it. This plug is non intimidating, and
    beginners shouldn’t have a problem with the smaller insertion size.
    The tip of this plug is also rounded for easier, more comfortable
    insertion when lubricated.. cheap vibrators

cock rings That being said, insecurities can also come up because the world we live in works
    to make us feel insecure. We are taught that, particularly,
    women, folks of colour, people with disabilities, queer and trans people are not worthy of love,
    respect or safety. These lessons appear in subtle and sometimes
    not so subtle ways. cock rings

cock rings It hard to generalize because India is such a huge and diverse country;
    few Indians even speak the same languages. However, if I had to generalize, I would say that
    the Kama Sutra is not considered erotic; it is considered a tool for
    Hindu women, who are born to bring their
    husbands to enlightenment in the hopes that they may earn enough good karma to be reincarnated as a man. In public, men and women are both supposed to be modest..
    cock rings

anal sex toys Schiaparelli, a confrere of artists Man Ray, Salvador Dali, Jean Cocteau,
    Marcel Duchamp, Christian Berard and Francis Picabia, paired her affinity for high end fabrics with an eclectic whimsy that rendered her body of work truly unique.
    Although viewed by some as a beloved eccentric, Shiaparelli was responsible for putting Marlene Dietrich into
    the padded shoulder, man tailored ensemble that would become the actress’s trademark, and bring
    butch chic to the mainstream. Other members
    of film royalty, such as Katherine Hepburn and Greta Garbo
    quickly followed suit or suits.. anal sex toys

butt plugs With its elegant design, perfect dimensions and double
    stimulation, Inya Twister Vibe will make you weak with pleasure!
    This vibrator has a realistic appearance, medium in size,
    which will suit both beginners and more experienced
    women. Stimulation is provided by three intensities and six
    modes of vibration, which can be accompanied simultaneously or
    not by three intensities of rotation. Rotations allow effective massaging of the vaginal walls and the G spot..
    butt plugs

cheap vibrators I was talking to my friend about it and she told me it
    was a pregnancy symptom. My period on the 30th wasn’t heavy, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t light enough to be spotting.
    I haven’t had vaginal, oral or anal sex, and there hasn’t
    been any been any contact sperm to vagina that I know
    of. cheap vibrators

cock rings The Savanna’s Spiral Wrapped G Spot Wonder
    dildo is a beautiful double ended dildo manufactured by Phallix.
    Like all Phallix dildos, this toy is hand made, so some slight differences in design and size should be
    expected. The toy is made completely from glass, and it features double
    ends. cock rings

cock rings The Waterproof Silicone Softees purple vibrator
    is best used for vaginal and clitoral stimulation. I found the bulbous end of
    the sleeve to be very satisfying in vaginal play while the nubs were
    particularly exciting when they contacted the vaginal entrance.
    They did their job best when the vibrator was inserted and
    left alone so that the vaginal muscles could close around it cock rings.

27. fleshlight toy
    I new to the site, and come from a very science intense background.
    Some of the posts that I seen around here have made me wonder how well
    people know what going onI new to the site, and come from a very science intense
    background. Some of the posts that I seen around here have made me wonder how
    well people know what going on with male anatomy in how it works,
    why it does what it does, etc., and if I can help educate
    people in what going on down thereI new to the site, and come from a very science
    intense background.

anal sex toys Make an exact vibrating rubber copy of your penis with this Clone A Willy
    Kit. Everything contained in the kit is medically tested, simple to use,
    and completely safe for the novice molder. All that’s required to
    make your very own, professional grade dildo molded directly from your own penis
    is a Clone A Willy Kit and water.. anal sex toys

cheap sex toys And a special thanks to Melanie Amorim for making up the Sex and the Suburbs logos!

You can see more of her work at Mommy Doodles Design. Our parents’
    generation may not be the most superior examples of appropriate behavior in this situation, but it may shed some light
    on it. Most of us caught or heard our parents fucking, and none of us turned out so bad,
    right? Well, relatively speaking, of course.. cheap sex toys

cock rings We still get questions like, “do you still only accept women?” or “are you a private institution”.
    It is high on my agenda to work on this issue through an initiative I have titled “regional engagement”.
    Acceptances came in quickly from the likes of: Duke, Georgetown and many others such as William and Mary (where everyone looked unhappy,
    pale, tired, and had a huge cup of Starbucks all the time)..
    cock rings

cheap vibrators Respect, as it turns out, is a dominating theme throughout the course of the weekend.
    You might expect that when many attendees are walking around in only a jockstrap and a harness, but it is pleasantly surprising
    to see how strictly they adhere to that principle.
    In the era of MeToo, when more and more queer folks are being vocal about the role consent plays
    in queer spaces, perhaps the leather and kink communities have
    something to teach the general public about active and
    enthusiastic consent.. cheap vibrators

dildos He can meet some of those needs with masturbation. You two
    can also have physical intimacy he may want without it having to be
    expressly sexual or about genital sex, such as via things like cuddling and kissing, massage or sensate focus.One other suggestion I
    have is to check in with your own sexuality and sex life, the one separate from your partner.

In other words, I’m talking about masturbation. dildos

sex toys And a condom for dry sex isn’t a bad idea either.

Note that it may be more likely to rip due to the
    friction with clothing, but by no means is it doomed to fail or anything.
    My partner always wears a condom if we’re going to have outercourse, and we’ve never had a condom problem.
    sex toys

sex Toys for couples Gary A. Condit (D Calif.), who represented the district that includes her home
    town of Modesto. We’ll have full coverage of the trial, including a story in this weekend’s paper
    about the Levy family and their long journey to find justice
    for their daughter.. sex Toys for couples

male sex toys It’s a bit awkward because with most people I haven’t said anything about my
    gender identity, so they all assume I am a cis woman (not having a go at them for that it’s how we’re all
    socialised, I guess). And tbh I am in no place mentally and emotionally
    atm to be explaining it to people who aren’t close friends or to people who I would expect to
    not really get it or react negatively. I don’t know if I ever
    will be in that place it may be that I will be ok with some people knowing,
    but not discussing it with everyone. male sex toys

sex Toys for couples The main attachment is a hollow cylinder with an inner lining of
    raised ridges (they are placed every 1/4″ or so). They are very flexible and are designed to bend and rotate around the penis. It has a little over 5″ of length that can cover the penis.
    sex Toys for couples

dildos Heather is also a member of the Association of Reproductive Health Professionals.
    An expanded and updated second edition was released in 2017.
    Their essays, fiction, poetry and artwork have appeared in their own publications as
    well as in Teen Vogue,The Guardian (UK), RH Reality Check (now Rewire) Issues Magazine, PIF Magazine, Maxi Magazine, Women’s Studies;An inter disciplinary journal,BAACHOR Magazine
    (in which her essay “The Door Into One Moment, Eternal,” was nominated for a Pushcart Prize) and others dildos.

28. If some one needs expert view regarding blogging afterward i propose him/her to go to see this website, Keep up the nice job.|

29. Glen Trotty says:

I think this is one of theamong the most importantsignificantvital informationinfo for me. And i’mi am glad reading your article. But wannawant toshould remark on fewsome general things, The websitesiteweb site style is perfectidealgreatwonderful, the articles is really excellentnicegreat : D. Good job, cheers